I don't know if you've heard, but it's been raining a little bit in California. The sun had been a very rare sight until last weekend. We were graced with a gloriously sunny Saturday, and I took the opportunity to sit on my patio, eat lunch and get a little Vitamin D.
My lunch that day ended up being my current favorite salad. I discovered it at Mixt Greens (who appears to now be called just Mixt), which used to have a location in the Valley Fair mall but is, much to my dismay, now gone. Thankfully, I had made note of the ingredients in "The Orchard" salad, and have recreated it at home a few times.
But last Saturday, when I was sitting in the sun, enjoying my favorite salad, it occurred to me that I should post about it here. If only for the sole purpose of having the salad ingredients documented somewhere other than in a note on my phone. I also just realized I can go to their site and look it up, but if for some reason they go away, I'll always have it documented here.
Without further ado, I present to you my adaptation of the Orchard Salad...
The Orchard Salad
Adapted from Mixt
- Greens of your choice, a couple large handfuls (I usually like a spring mix, or something with a bit of arugula)
- Cooked chicken, diced or shredded (an eighth to a quarter of a cup, depending on how hungry you are)
- Sharp Cheddar, grated (a small amount, a couple tablespoons?)
- Cooked Bacon (2 slices, crumbled or chopped up)
- Avocado (I usually use half)
- Toasted Almonds, roughly chopped (a handful)
- Apple, a quarter to a half, chopped (I like a Granny Smith)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
Put everything in a bowl, and toss together. Add salt and pepper to taste. I never really measure ingredients when I'm making this, but it makes enough for an entree sized salad for one person. You can adjust amounts to feed more people.